Meditation is a simple practice, but this simplicity can get some getting used to!
If you wish to discover the world of meditation, the most important thing is to give it a go. Set aside a time in the day and feel you are giving yourself a new opportunity to discover the inner peace, that we all have somewhere deep within.
“If you want to simplify your life, meditation is the answer. If you want to fulfil your life, meditation is the answer. If you want to have joy and offer joy to the world at large, then meditation is the only answer.”
– Sri Chinmoy
There is not much you need to practise to meditate. You don’t need money, status or good fortune. All we need is the sincerity to sit and be still. However, some things will help as we begin to learn how to meditate.
- Find a quiet spot, somewhere where you will not be disturbed. Don’t worry if you can’t find the perfect spot. You don’t need a Himalayan cave in order to meditate. Put if possible, keep a corner of your room for meditation.
- You can place a candle, flower, incense and create a nice environment, this will help you to switch off from your daily routine and give a subtle reminder that you are entering into the peace of meditation.
- If possible, have a shower or put some cold water over your face. It will help get rid of some of the days vibrations, and help you feel refreshed. It is hard to meditate if we feel sleepy!
- In the beginning, it is helpful to get inspiration to meditate from books or other people who also meditate. That is why attending a meditation course, where you can meditate with other people will give a big boost to your meditation.
- A simple breathing exercise is simply to watch your breathing. By observing your breath, you give yourself something to focus on which will take you out of the usual thought train of the mind. Also, if you allow your breathing to slow down and become calm and quiet, this will also have an effect in reducing the number of thoughts.
- Don’t worry about getting the ‘perfect’ technique or even whether you are doing good meditate. Just perserve and don’t give up!